Saturday

some valentine's day stories

a collection of valentine stories from friends and family and yours truly...

when i was in kindergarten billy m. gave me a necklace with a heart on it. i was too embarrassed to ever wear it or even to say thank you, but i still think about it to this day. boys seem to get it right in kindergarten...

my dad always sends flowers to my mom, my sister and i for valentine's day. it's a silly tradition because he could easily bring them home and give them to us... and we always know they are coming so it's not like it's a surprise... but it's probably the best thing about my valentine's day every single year.

when i was in 10th grade i had a crush on a girl in my math class. Valentine's day was my opportunity- and i jumped at the chance to show how that i liked her. i got to school early, emptied out her books from her locker and filled it with red roses. how was i supposed to know she would be running late that day and get in trouble for not having her books in class? my plan totally backfired-- instead of digging the romantic gesture, she flipped that i had stolen her books and gotten her into trouble. it was horrible.

my ex boyfriend totally blew it the first valentine's day that we were together. he did absolutely nothing. no thought, no nothing. so we broke up. by the next year we were back together... and he presented me with a scrapbook. he had saved some sort of token from every date we had had- every time we had hung out- everything- since that failed valentine's day-- and put it all together in a heart shaped book.

to be honest i'm not much for valentine's day- so instead of flowers or stuffed animals or chocolates or cards- i filled his room with a whole bunch of indie beers. you know, the kind he likes with hipster labels? do you think he's going to like it?

seven years ago my best friend wrote me a love poem. it was raining when he gave it to me, and got wet. we laughed about it because i assumed he had to have been kidding. to this day i don't know if he was.

No comments: